Vegan Boston baked beans. Navy beans mixed with molasses, maple syrup, garlic, mustard, onion, and tomato then baked in the oven for 6 hours at low temperature.
- 1 pound navy beans, soaked in water overnight. Drained
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced or 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Coleman’s dry mustard
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
In a large bean pot or dutch oven pour the oil into the bottom. Pour the onion on top of the oil. Pour the beans on top of the onions.
In a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the tomato, garlic, dry mustard, maple syrup, molasses, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, and bay leaves. Stir to combine and pour over the beans.
Place the lid on the pot and bake for 6-7 hours. Checking every hour to see if more liquid is needed. The liquid should just barely cover the beans.
This recipe was inspired by Chef Jasper WhiteServe with vegan brown bread for a classic New England dinner