- 2 tablespoon butterunsalted
- 2 tablespoon flourall purpose
- 1 1/4 cup milkfat-free or regular
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepperwhite pepper if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon garlicpowder
- 6 ounce (oz) cheddar cheeseCabot Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled baconcooked
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, and stir to make a roux.
- Wisk in milk, and whisk until smooth, scraping roux out of the corners of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula if necessary. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and increase heat to medium high. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Sharp cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Stir in bacon, just before serving.
- Spoon over baked potatoes.