- 14 ounce (oz) dry pastasuch as fusilli, rotini or macaroni, whole-wheat if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon saltSalt for pasta water plus ¼ teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoon butterunsalted
- 1 shallotminced
- 2 1/2 tablespoon flourall-purpose
- 1 1/2 cup milkfat-free
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlicpowder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepperwhite if desired
- 6 ounce (oz) Cabot Alpine Cheddarabout 1 1/2 cup
- 3 cup kalepacked chopped raw kale, steamed for 2 minutes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- When water boils, prepare pasta according to package. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring until the shallot is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Make roux by sprinkling flour over the shallot and stir to dissolve flour into the butter. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until all of the flour is incorporated into the milk. Scrape along edges of the saucepan with a heat-proof spatula make sure no roux remains in the corners. Whisk in Dijon, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in cheddar and whisk until completely melted into the sauce.
- Stir the hot cooked pasta, sauce and kale in the pasta pot. Serve hot.