One of my favorite cakes are profiterole, but the problem with them is that every time they turns out differently. One time they are perfect, and other time, well… they are not. I tried a lots of recipes until I figured this one how to make them perfectly every time. I want to share with you steps and tips how to make them perfectly each time.
The secret of perfect recipe is to follow completely the balance of the all ingredients. You simple cannot make mistake with proportion of the ingredients. There are only four ingredients, compile with the correct ratio of the each ingredient, and thats it! You will find that your profiterole are perfect every time.
Here are the useful tips:
- If the dough is too firm, profiterole will not grow well, if it’s too rare, they will scatter, and again will not grow good. It may be that the dough is at excellent density, but the distribution of the ingredients is not correct (there is too little eggs, not enough fat, too much water) or that texture is not good – in this case the dough will not grow well also.
- The dough is composed of water, fat, flour and eggs. I’m convinced that the best fat for this occasion is oil. Why? Because it is pure fat, while in margarine and butter there is up to 20% of water, so there is a disproportion of the ingredient that is so crucial for profiterole. For the dough use ordinary sunflower oil.
- Cook 250 ml of water and 125 ml of oil, adding pinch of salt and a little of sugar, until the mixture starts to boil. Then add 150 g flour and mix intensively until you get a thick, shiny, greasy dough. In this dough eggs are usually added. And the dough is mixed after each egg is added. In this dough usually goes 4 or 5 eggs.
- The assumption is that the main problem with the dough are eggs, because sometimes they are small, sometimes they are big, and they are added lastly to the dough, and even an egg at a time. That last egg can ruin everything, it can thin the mixture, and the omission of the last egg can make the dough too tightly.
- Therefore, it is important to know with how many eggs you are working with. It is not in the eggs number, but it is in the exact amount of the eggs (in milliliters). If we take the amount of eggs as a starting measure, to which everything else should be adjusted, the chance of failure is minimal. After many unsuccessful attempts, I came to the exact measurement and it was exactly 250 ml of eggs. All the rest is added in the basic measures, and profiterole turned out fantastic every time. So the secret is in the correct amount of the eggs!
- You can put the dough with a teaspoon on the baking sheet, or you can use a pastry bag. I use regular pastry bag, with an addition with straight hole of 1 cm . Any way you do, do not make too tight and high donuts because you will not be able to put fil in them. Feel free to squeeze lumps in diameter of about 5 cm. From one measure you can get 20 donuts, and you can bake them in a single batch. They will not stick, even they grow so big that they are touching each other. Profiterole are not prone to stick because of the fat in the dough.
Finally here is the recipe:
- eggs 250 milliliter (ml) 4 pieces S-class, or 5 pieces of A-class
- water 250 milliliter (ml)
- oil 125 milliliter (ml)
- flour 150 gram (g)
- sugar 3 teaspoon
- salt 1 pinch
- milk 1 liter (l)
- sugar 250 gram (g)
- vanilla sugar 3 bags
- 1 egg
- 5 egg yolks
- corn starch 150 gram (g)
- butter 125 gram (g)
- cream 250 milliliter (ml)
- sugar powdered, for sprinkling
- First, prepare the filling. Butter out of the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature. Five egg yolks and one whole egg gently stir wire in a larger pot, add 100 ml of milk and stir. In this stir 150 g of corn starch (density), slightly mute wire to get the mixture without lumps.
- The remaining 900 ml of milk to cook in another saucepan with the sugar and vanilla sugar, but when it boils rapidly pour the boiling milk into the first pot, where we whisked eggs and cornstarch. Mixture will probably go now to contract, should be intensively mixed or rile mixer disconnection of hotplate two or three minutes until it thickens evenly. If the mixture does not start immediately after pouring hot milk to contract, to return all the quieter fire and cook until it starts tightening, and further two or three minutes, stirring intense or mute mixer. The point is that milk is poured on the egg with a density, and not vice versa, because the eggs are coagulated when she immersed herself in the way the boiling milk in a hot pan. Surface filling with plastic sheets that would be created Cover and leave to cool completely.
- Prepare the dough. In the police van to break 4 eggs S class, or 5 eggs A class. Measured. If you have exactly 250 ml eggs, or 20 ml more or less, adjust the recipe. If not, make the proportion of entering the amount of eggs in the input field in the recipe, and you have the budget necessary quantities of other ingredients.
- In a saucepan pour water, add the oil, salt and sugar and put to boil. Escape to the top and add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to give a thick and smooth dough. Allow a minute or two to cool the dough, then add the eggs from 2-3 times, pouring out of the cup and mixing after each addition, until the mixture is homogenius. It can be mixed with a wooden spoon or electric mixer, it does not matter. Mixture will be thick, sticky and shiny.
- Turn the oven to 200 ° C. On a baking sheet lined with baking paper remove the lumps of dough with the help of a teaspoon, or squeezing out the dough from the Train (confectionery) bags.
- Lumps of dough to make them a size smaller apricot, with a diameter of 5 cm, such stalls exactly 20 on large baking sheet from the oven. The tops of the dough which protrude upward drop by gently pressing them wet finger or a wet spoon, so as not to burn. Doughnuts oven to 200 ° C for about 35-40 minutes, depending on the oven. Do not open the oven during baking. Doughnuts are over when well-flushed, and when cracks losses pale yellow tone.
- Complete filling. First, in December blur blender mixture is cooled to room temperature (it's okay if the mixture to remain just a little puddle), and then add the softened butter and whisk together blender to get a velvety smooth and shiny cream.
- Cooled pastries cut in half, fill them with yellow cream with the help of trained bags and star of continuing and, if desired, over the cue to put a layer of whipped cream with a teaspoon of sugar, also displaced through to pastry bag with a star nozzle. Cover the top half of the donuts. Sprinkle powdered sugar donuts. Store them in the refrigerator, covered.